Monday, May 07, 2007

Zones and Focal Points

My new bionic lenses operate differently from natural lenses. Each lens has five different focusing zones, and the lenses in the two eyes are different. My brain is adjusting to this new way of focusing. Distance vision is easy; I don't have to do anything special to see faraway objects with crystal clear sharpness. The lens in my right eye seems to be especially good with distance vision. If I'm driving and I close first one eye and then the other, I can see a difference between the two. I'm certain that my distance vision with the right eye is better than 20/20. It reminds me of when I got my first pair of contact lenses at age 18, except that these lenses are a lot more comfortable and require no maintenance except for eye drops 4X daily as my eyes are healing from the surgery. I'll be done putting drops in my left eye on May 17 and my right eye on May 31.

For near vision, the two eyes have different focal points. The lens in the right eye was implanted only four days ago, and the two eyes haven't yet figured out how to work as a team with maximum efficiency. If I close one eye and then the other, and if I hold a page of text at varying distances from my face, small type will be sharp and clear with the left eye at one distance (about 10 inches) and with the right eye at a different distance (say, 12 inches). I also notice that I have to wait a bit for the text to come into focus. It's blurry at first and then clear if I'm holding the text at the right distance. For intermediate-range work (looking at my computer monitor), the left eye is a little better because it's had more practice over the past couple of weeks. The right eye is still a rookie!

No comments: