Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A New "Normal"

I'm amazed at how quickly it has become "normal" for me to be independent of glasses or contact lenses. I have almost--but not quite--begun to take my new freedom for granted.

Another source of amazement is how "invisible" the change has been when it comes to people outside my immediate family. No one has said, "Hey! How come you're not wearing glasses anymore?" But when you think about it, I probably wouldn't notice the same kind of change in anyone outside MY immediate family. I haven't become a raving beauty overnight. I look like myself, only better (in my opinion!).

My biggest worry is retinal detachment. I've had vitreous floaters for most of my life, but now they seem more ominous. Being a defensive pessimist, I need to have something to fixate on!

Janet

No comments: