Sunday, May 06, 2007

Self-indulgent? You decide...

Is it self-indulgent of me to opt for multifocal lens implants so I can stop wearing glasses? It IS a major purchase, but it's also a once-in-a-lifetime expense that will actually improve the quality of my life every waking hour for the rest of my life! I feel very lucky.

Self-indulgent? Maybe. Do I feel guilty about the expense? A little, but not too much.

Is this type of vision correction "artificial"? Any type of vision correction is artificial, when you think about it. You can wear your corrective lenses in metal or plastic frames perched on the bridge of your nose, or as little discs floating on a layer of tears on top of your cornea, or as implants inside the lens capsules in your eyes. No matter where you put them, they're still corrective lenses. Lens implants are certainly a lot more comfortable and convenient than anything else I've tried!

No comments: